Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 4: Amazing Media Center Websites!


This past week I have been working to complete Activity 4 and 5 so that I can confront my fear of beginning the dreaded Assignment 2! While completing Activity 4 I gained a new perspective on school library websites- they are full of amazing resources for teachers and parents, and full of fun literacy based activities for students! I was amazed at how much fun it was to explore the Scotch College website and especially the North Elementary School Library Media Centre website. While both where inspiring I could definitely see elementary aged students excited to use the North Elementary School Library Media Center website for research purposes, literacy activities and just for fun. I was, however, a little bit disappointed that Reading with Ms. Byrd was more like Reading with Sylvia Brown. I could not see myself, nor elementary students using this particular site to access literacy based resources, activities, or using this site as a base for research tools. The Lord Byng School Library website was not much better, as it featured broken link, after broken link. The only thing this site had going for it was its link to webcat to access its library records. This was a helpful Activity to work through to learn more about how different schools are showcasing their school library media centers, and the assistance provided by the school library media staff. Through this activity I have learned that the school library media center websites can be a great advocacy tool. For instance, the North Elementary School Library Media Center website communicates to staff, parents and students that literacy resources and assistance is the library staffs main priority. Websites like the North Elementary Library website really reflect the commitment, integrity, knowledge and capabilities of the Teacher Librarian at that particular school. Some day I hope to also create a website that is similar, but for now I will begin Assignment #2, and learn how to catalog!

No comments:

Post a Comment