Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Assignment #2: ISBD and MARC Records


After completing Assignment #2, I feel more knowledgeable about the cataloguing process. Although I have only seen the tip of the ice berg, this assignment helped me understand the function of MARC tags and the purpose other necessary entries. Because of this assignment I have a great deal more respect for professional librarians, and their knowledge of descriptive cataloguing, and the processing of MARC records. It must takes years before one feels confident in creating MARC records from scratch. Thank goodness for sites like the www.loc.gov/ and www.nypl.org/. Without the help of these sites I highly doubt I could have ever completed this assignment with any success.


Part B of Assignment #2 proved to be unexpectedly fun. Finding some of the records was like finding a needle in a hay stack. I felt like I was trying to solve a riddle half the time, or solving a mystery while searching for clues. Once you begin searching for some of the title records it is difficult to quit until you have found them. I think the one I spent the most time trying to find was “Jigga Jump”, but once I found records for this one I felt as though I had run a marathon. I never knew that cataloguing could be so exhilarating!

No comments:

Post a Comment